Study Group Goal:
Determine the value of industry segment clusters as a strategic component for regional economic competitiveness.*
*Clusters are distinct groups of competing and cooperating companies, suppliers, service providers and research or support institutions located in a particular geographic area and pursuing a particular industry sector.
Study Group Charge:
- Conduct a situation analysis, creating a baseline of facts for the area.
- Identify best practices as well as any early success potential.
- Set criteria for prioritizing the next steps for acting on findings and recommendations
Why I Am Involved
“I want incubators and accelerators all over the place plus more venture capital and a full-fledged mentoring program.
I also want to see entrepreneurs paying it forward.”
Industry Clusters Study Group Members:
Scott Adams, CBRE
Bob Armstrong, EVMS
Bill Bean, The College of William & Mary
Dan Bell, Future of Hampton Roads
Joe Bouchard, Cox Communications
Chester Brazzell, LifeNet
Don Combs, EVMS
Bill Crow, Virginia Ship Repair Association
Charles deCuir, Virginia Offshore Wind Coalition
Robert Fitzgerald, BOSH Global Services
Larry Filer, Old Dominion University
Dave Harnage, Old Dominion University
Russ Held, Virginia Port Authority
Karen Jackson, Virginia Secretary of Technology
Marty Kaszubowski, General Ideas
Jim Koch, Old Dominion University
David Lambert, Newport News Shipbuilding
Pete Leddy, OTTO Design
Ned Lilly, Xtuple
Donna Morris, Hampton Roads Community Foundation
Craig Quigley, Hampton Roads Military and Federal Facilities Alliance
Dave Richards, Concursive
Jim Ricketts, Virginia Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau
Sandeep Samudre, Technisight
Doug Smith, City of Virginia Beach (co-chair)
John Sokolowski, Virginia Modeling and Simulation Center
Jim Spore, City of Virginia Beach (co-chair)
Tim Stifler, Tidewater Hotels & Resorts
Bruce Thompson, Gold Key/PHR Hotels & Resorts
Mileta Tomovic, Old Dominion University
Gary Wagner, Old Dominion University
Bill Wasilenko, Eastern Virginia Medical School
Randy Webb, Signature
Roy Whitney, Jefferson Labs
Peter Zendzian, ZZ Servers
Key Recommendations of the Industry Clusters Study Group:
- Revise the regional economic development model to transform our regional economy and enable it to realize its potential. While attracting outside investment and jobs should remain a focus, significant energy and resources should be dedicated to growing existing businesses, incubating start-ups and commercializing research being conducted at area universities and federal facilities.
- Develop a cluster upgrading program to advance the individual businesses and ecosystems within those clusters.
- Coordinate study group recommendations with those generated by the other study groups with support of area cities, the Hampton Roads Business Roundtable, Hampton Roads Regional Council and other major players.
Read the Report
Click here to read the executive summary of the 2014 Industry Clusters Study Group Report
Click here to read the entire 2014 Industry Clusters Study Group Report
Have an Idea? Want to Get Involved?